Posted on May 28th, 2010
We want to talk about some great places for wildlife photography. We are only going to list a few but from different areas around the world. We hope you enjoy the places we found and that you can check them out in the near future.
Bosque del Apache NWR in New Mexico
Bosque del Apache is Spanish for “woods of the Apache,” and is rooted in the time when the Spanish observed Apaches routinely camped in the riverside forest. Since then the name has come to mean one of the most spectacular National Wildlife Refuges in North America. Here, tens of thousands of birds–including sandhill cranes, Arctic geese, and many kinds of ducks–gather each autumn and stay through the winter. Feeding snow geese erupt in explosions of wings when frightened by a stalking coyote, and at dusk, flight after flight of geese and cranes return to roost in the marshes.
Its located near Socorro NW and its open an hour before sunset to an hour hour after sunset. Admission per car is $5.00 and an annual pass costs $15.00.
Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge Complex
Located approximately 90 miles north of the city of Sacramento.The Complex consists of five national wildlife refuges (NWR) and three wildlife management areas (WMA) that comprise over 35,000 acres of wetlands and uplands in the Sacramento Valley of California. In addition, there are over 30,000 acres of conservation easements in the Complex. The Refuges and easements are part of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service); they serve as resting and feeding areas for nearly half the migratory birds on the Pacific Flyway.
Senalala Game Lodge
Senalala Game Lodge is quiet and peaceful; situated in a remote and private location in the well known Klaserie Private Game Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Senalala offers fantastic game viewing opportunities, prolific bird life as well as a variety of plains game. Wildlife in the area includes fantastic birdlife as well as a variety of plains game and members from the big five, lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, rhino, hyena, jackal, warthog and smaller game species.
Montezuma NWR in New York
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge was established on September 12, 1938 as a refuge and breeding ground for migratory birds and other wildlife. The refuge provides resting, feeding, and nesting habitat for waterfowl and other migratory birds. Montezuma is situated in the middle of one of the most active flight lanes in the Atlantic Flyway.
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
Renowned for its wildlife, Arctic Refuge is inhabited by 45 species of land and marine mammals, ranging from the pygmy shrew to the bowhead whale. Best known are the polar, grizzly, and black bear; wolf, wolverine, Dall sheep, moose, muskox, and the animal that has come to symbolize the area’s wildness, the free-roaming caribou. Thirty-six species of fish occur in Arctic Refuge waters, and 180 species of birds have been observed on the refuge.
We hope you enjoyed the few picks we made for great places for wildlife photography. Be sure and pick up the perfect camera from us before you go!
Posted on May 20th, 2010
This is an excellent Surefire light that is extremely compact. Constructed of tough, corrosion-proof Nitrolon polymer and hard-anodized aluminum, the G2LF features a virtually indestructible, power-regulated LED and a micro-textured reflector to produce a smooth, brilliant 80-lumen beam with four times the light output of a typical two-D-cell flashlight. This flashlight was developed for firefighters, paramedics, EMS personnel and other emergency first responders.
The G2LF’s beam can be customized with three removable micro-lens inserts (included) that simultaneously diffuse the beam and control its divergence angle. The G2LF’s fluorescent yellow color and included reflective body stickers make it easy to find if dropped—crucial if you’re a firefighter, EMT, search and rescue team member, or public safety or utilities worker.
* Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize output and runtime
* Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized spot beam
* Coated Borofloat® window resists impact, maximizes light
* Tough, lightweight Nitrolon® body with deep grid pattern for secure grip, aluminum bezel
* Press tailcap switch for momentary-on, press further to click constant-on
* MIL-STD-810 rated, which includes safe for explosive atmosphere
* Extra-long fluorescent breakaway lanyard and reflective stickers included
* Weatherproof O-ring and gasket sealing
* Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life
Max Output: 80.0 lumens
Tactical Runtime*: 3.0 hours
Practical Runtime**: 6.0 hours
Length: 5.14 inches
Bezel Diameter: 1.25 inches
Weight w/ Batteries: 4.6 ounces
Batteries: Two 123A lithiums
* Runtime down to 50 lumens
** Runtime down to 5 lumens
Be sure and check this Surefire light out, we are sure you will be as impressed as we are.
Posted on May 5th, 2010
The Pentax Kx is a 12.4-megapixel camera is a great camera with sensor-shift image stabilization, a 2.7-inch LCD, Live View mode, and a 720p movie mode. Capable of 4.6 frames per second, the Pentax K-x’s top shutter speed is 1/6,000 second. The Pentax K-x also includes the K-7′s HDR modes, and it also has the Digital filters, as well as a new Cross Process mode that randomly emulates several results that you’d only get by cross-processing film with different types of developer. Though it’s small, the Pentax K-x’s grip is good, with an ample thumbgrip on the back. The Mode dial now includes Movie mode as well. This is a great buy as far as a SLR camera goes and is very affordable for all the features that come with the camera.
* Type: CMOS with primary color filter and integrated Shake/Dust Reduction sensor-movement system
* Size: 23.6 x 15.8mm
* Color depth: 8 bits/channel JPG, 12 bits/channel RAW
* Effective pixels: 12.4 MP
* Total pixels: 12.9 MP
* Recorded resolutions
o Still: 12M (4288×2848), 10M (3936×2624), 6M (3072×2048), 2M (1728×1152)
o Movie (resolution/FPS): 1280x720p24 (16:9), 640x416p24 (3:2)
* Quality levels: Best, Better, Good
* Dust Removal: Image sensor movement combined with SP coating (Dust Alert available)
* Type/construction: PENTAX KAF2 bayonet stainless steel mount
* Usable lenses: PENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA (K mount, 35mm screwmount, 645/67 med format lenses useable w adapter and/or restrictions)
* SDM function: Yes
* Power zoom function: n/a
* Type: TTL phase-matching 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system (SAFOX VIII)
* Focus modes: AF Auto, AF Single (w focus lock), AF Continuous (available in Action mode including Auto Picture Action, Kids, Pet, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, P/A/S/M/B/Sv), Manual
* Focus point adjustment: 11 point auto, 5 point auto, AF point select, center/spot
* AF assist: Yes, via built-in flash
* Type: Pentamirror
* Coverage (field of view): Approx 96%
* Magnification: Approx 0.85X (w 50mm F1.4 at infinity)
* Standard focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte II
* Diopter adjustment: -2.5 to 1.5
* Depth of field preview: Optical & Digital (available via programmable Green button)
This item also includes the following
Software CD-ROM S-SW99
USB Cable I-USB7
Hotshoe Cover FK
Body Mount Cover
AA Lithium Batteries (*4)
We hope you get a chance to try this camera out. We think you will be as impressed as we were.