Posted on November 30th, 2010
If you’re a serious photographer looking for SLR-inspired creative control but in a smaller form, the P7000 is your kind of camera. The Nikon COOLPIX P7000 is a compact, high-performance digital camera offering superb image quality and precise imaging control. The Nikon P7000 is an entirely new design inside and out from its predecessor, the interesting but flawed P6000. Where this Nikon really shines is when you switch it over to manual mode for composing more advanced shots. You choose the aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, and focus settings to give your images the exact look you want. The P7000 puts those important controls at your fingertips.
Sporting a 1/1.17-inch, 10.1-megapixel CCD image sensor that rolls back the MP rating from the P6000 (which used a 13.5-megapixel chip), the Nikon P7000 is aiming to improve image quality through a “less is more” approach. The Nikon Coolpix P7000 also boasts an optically stabilized 7.1x zoom lens with a focal length range equivalent to 28-200mm on a 35mm camera. The Coolpix P7000 features Nikon’s EXPEED C2 image processor, which allows an ISO sensitivity range of 100 to 6,400 equivalents at full resolution.
- 7.1x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom-NIKKOR ED Glass Lens – Versatile 28-200mm lens ranges wide to capture landscapes, zooms in to get close to the action. In the NIKKOR tradition of precision optics, the high-quality ED glass lens delivers superb color and razor-sharp results.
- 10.1-megapixel, large 1/1.7-inch CCD sensor for stunning images.
- Optical VR Image Stabilization by lens shift minimizes the effects of camera shake.
- Hybrid VR Image stabilization by lens shift and electronic VR.
- Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and ISO to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO up to 6400 at full resolution for optimum results when shooting in low light or photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Nikons Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter is pressed, then selects and saves the sharpest image
- EXPEED C2 continues to expand the possibilities of photography with improved levels of image quality, fine detail and processing speed. Custom-optimized for each COOLPIX model, Nikon’s renowned digital image processing engine ensures outstanding images
- Dial controls for key functions including ISO, white balance, bracketing, exposure compensation and more
- PSAM (Program, Shutter, Aperture, Manual) exposure control, custom function control.
- ISO can be set as high as 6400 at full resolution; 12,800 in Low noise Night Mode (3-Megapixel).
- Tone Level Information provides photographers with 9 levels of grey scale information about the scene for fine exposure analysis according to user’s creative needs.
- In-camera editing functions include Exposure Compensation, COOLPIX Picture Control, Noise Reduction Filter, Quick Retouch, D-Lighting and Active D-Lighting.
- Electronic Virtual Horizon Display enables precise leveling of the camera in landscape or portrait orientation during LCD monitor shooting.
- COOLPIX Picture Control can be customized for Image Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation, Filter Effects, and Tone.
- Ultra-fast start-up, autofocus and shooting.
- Subject Tracking tracks a moving subject to ensure sharp focus.
- Shoot Continuously up to 45 pictures at approx. 1.3 fps at full resolution.
- Interval Timer Shooting captures images at specified time intervals
- 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for still images and movies that come alive with rich detail and improved contrast. The large LCD’s wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating make it easy to compose, view and share pictures.
- Large Optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment dial.
- Remote control operation with optional wireless ML-L3.
- Optional Wide Angle Converter (WC-E75A) for 21mm coverage (requires UR-E22 adapter ring)
- HD (720p) Movie with Stereo, Mic Input Jack and HDMI Output Records at 24 fps with Zoom, Autofocus and stereo sound. Mic Input Jack allows for optional microphone to be used during recording and HDMI output allows easy in-camera playback or convenient playback on HD-TV or computer.
- Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles.
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects most instances of red-eye as you shoot. You may never see red-eye again.
- Face-Priority AF. Nikon’s face-finding technology automatically detects up to 12 faces.
- Skin Softening smoothes skin tones at three different levels for optimal portraits; can be applied while shooting or during playback.
- Blink Warning alerts you if a subject has blinked.
- Built-in Flash plus i-TTL Flash function when used with optional Nikon Speedlight System.
- 18 Scene Modes, including Scene Auto Selector for optimized shooting in a variety of settings and situations.
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you’re shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
- Macro shooting as close as 0.8 inches.
The Nikon Coolpix P7000 is a great compact digital camera. Users can take great pictures with this Nikon compact digital camera.
Posted on November 17th, 2010
The Panasonic HDC-TM20K is a sub $600 camera that really seems to be an excellent deal. This one is at the cheaper end but that doesn’t always mean that you lose out in terms of performance. This is a entry level camcorder but as far as we can see it certainly doesn’t miss anything on technology. The Panasonic HDC-TM20K is a sleek black unit that thankfully has refrained from the red stripe around the lens, and is not too heavy on the branding and writing which is a definite improvement. The unit is small and neat and follows the standard format of most camcorders.
The Panasonic HDC-TM20K has 16x optical zoom function, and the quality of images captured on zoom is excellent and clarity is not lost. One of the best features of the Panasonic HDC-TM20K HD camcorder is the iA (intelligent auto) mode. When this mode is selected, the camcorder automatically selects the optimal settings to produce the best video quality. This camcorder has the standard OIS technology, which means that any shake of the hand is compensated for and the picture adjusted to make sure this is not noticed on playback.
This is a camcorder that will appeal most to the home use. The quality of the HD videos is very good, accompanied by crisp and clear audio. The lens cap is built in and opens when the unit is switched on, which again is a nice touch and means there is nothing separate to lose. For the money and quality we recommend the Panasonic HDC-TM20K 16GB High Definition Camcorder.
Posted on November 3rd, 2010
The Leica V-Lux 20’s simple yet attractive metal body screams ‘serious photographer’. At approximately 103 x 62 x 33mm you could say it’s on the bulky side, but when you take it’s 12x zoom lens and built-in GPS into consideration, it certainly isn’t. The camera feels built to be used, the design and layout of the buttons and controls is exceptionally well thought out – everything is exactly where you’d want it. The menu system is straightforward and easy to use.
The high-performance Leica V-LUX 20 Digital Camera features a Leica DC Vario-Elmar 4.1-49.2mm f/3.3 – 4.9 ASPH lens. This is a high-performance super-zoom with a 35mm equivalent of 25-300mm. This 12x zoom allows you to go from wide-angle to super telephoto without adding an accessory lens.
The camera has many automatic settings, and scene modes for the beginning photographer, but it also has manual settings for the image maker who wants total control. All of your composing and playback takes place on the bright 3″ LCD display, and images can be stored on SD, SDHC or SXCD memory cards.
When shooting HD video, you can use the 12x zoom lens and all the other camera features, including the GPS feature. This innovative feature records the geographical coordinates of the location and the local time of every picture shot and stores the information in the EXIF data of the image files. The GPS also provides a variety of fascinating options and benefits. When traveling, the camera displays all the sights in the immediate neighborhood.
Other Items Included
* BP-DC7E Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery
* Battery Charger
* Battery Case
* USB Cable
* A/V Cable
* Wrist Strap
* Software-DVD, CD including Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
* User Manual
The V-LUX 20 will only be produced in small quantities, so will retain their value for much longer than most other brand‘s cameras and a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 or Mac or PC comes free. Lets not forget – you are getting a Leica, a brand many photographers aspire too.