42nd Street Photo Reviews The Canon EOS Rebel Digital T2iPosted on December 27th, 2010
The Canon Rebel T2i is an 18MP DSLR that follows up the popular Canon Rebel T1i. The Canon EOS Rebel T2i incorporates a number of advanced pro-DSLR features in a compact and very affordable camera body. The Rebel T2i handles much like the Rebel T1i; however, the Rebel T2i has a number of subtle changes like new button designs and a new 3:2 format LCD. This is the first Canon DSLR with a display that is actually the same shape of the sensor. The EOS Rebel T2i can also capture full 1080p HD video with monaural sound, or stereo sound when using (optional) 3.5mm external microphones.
In addition to the camera’s bright eye-level optical reflex viewfinder, the Rebel T2i also features Advanced Live View (with a dedicated Live view/Movie button) for composing and editing your stills and video using the T2i’s 3.0″ Clear View LCD, which contains a whopping 1.04 million dots of resolving power.
The buttons on the rear of the camera are flatter than they were on the T1i and are easier to use, which almost gives the camera controls on the rear a point and shoot feel. The Q button on the rear brings up the quick settings display and is very easy and intuitive to navigate using the 4-way controls on the rear panel.
The Canon EOS Rebel T2i records imagery onto a choice of SD memory card, SDHC memory card, or SDXC Memory Cards and powers off an LP-E8 lithium-ion battery, which is good for up to 550 still exposures or 1 hour and 40 minutes of video recording. The EOS Rebel T2i is compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S optics. For CAEDRT2IK only – The Canon Rebel T2i kit comes with an image stabilized Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS zoom lens, which has an equivalent focal range of a 28.8 – 88mm lens on a full-frame (24x36mm) 35mm camera.
- 18MP CMOS sensor with a 4-channel readout (the 7D has an 8-channel readout)
- ISO 100-6400 (up to 12,800 with boost)
- DIGIC 4 Processor
- 3.7 fps continuous shooting speed (34 high-quality JPEGs, 6 RAW)
- 9-point auto focus system
- 63 zone dual layer metering
- 1080p HD video at 24, 25, and 30 frames per second (fps)
- 720p HD video at 50 and 60 fps, VGA at 50 and 60 fps
- manual exposure option in video mode
- external stereo mic input
- new movie crop mode
- new LCD with 3:2 aspect ratio and 1.04 million dot resolution
- Quick control button
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (adding compatibility with SDXC cards)
- size/weight: 5.1×3.1×3.0 inches (close to the T1i) weight 18.7 oz
- Typical battery capacity – 550 shots without flash (430 shots with 50% flash)
The Canon EOS Rebel Digital T2i makes a great impression.